Travels with Annie and Elmo

Travel should be a journey where the destination is just another part of the Journey.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006



Fact Check #6

June 6, 2006

We have been playing in Anchorage and enjoying our grandchildren. Annie is getting her dirt fix. Elmo is learning to clean the floor under the dinner table and I look out the window a lot. Here are some final numbers on the Alaska leg of our adventure:

· 9 times we crossed the Continental Divide.

· Traveled across four time zones.

· Drove through or close by 153 cities, towns and villages (had to be able to see the water tower).

· Identified 104 flowering plants.

· Crossed 79 major rivers.

· Passed through 6 states and 3 Canadian Provinces.

· Camped in 10 campgrounds

· Toured 2 US National Parks and 4 Canadian National Parks.

· Drove 4,602 miles from driveway to driveway.

· Loaded and unloaded the car 33 times.

· Saw; 1 grizzly bear, 5 black bear, hundreds of elk, 52 buffalo, 4 prairie dogs, 32 pronghorn antelope, 7 moose, 1 live coyote, 1 weasel, 12 bighorn sheep, 3 stone sheep, 4 deer (not currently identified).

Elmo would also like to tell you that he saw many ground squirrels and chipmunks, but was unable to catch any. He also asked me to report that he was severely handicapped by the leash.

3 Comments:

At 7:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like the picture with the plants in the forground and mountains in the background

steve

 
At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Though my travels over the past several weeks have been decidedly urban, I've had a dearth of internet access. I've just finished catching up by reading all of your posts, and I find myself wishing that all youth today were sent on Grand Tours not of Europe, but of the natural landscapes you're visiting. I feel that we'd have a lot less argument about why we should care about that esoteric thing called "The Environment" if everyone saw what you see. Hello and love to all...

 
At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really don't know how you expect me to function at work having read this blog. There is such beauty and expanse in this world! I recall the feeling of sitting on Mount Hope with Anne and our group, and then I multiply that by 10 and think that maybe that approximates the feeling of freedom and adventure and possibility that you wake up with each day.

I bleed with envy.

p.s. -- I'll be sure to acknowledge your role in my runaway note to parents and fiance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home